About Assisted Living in Utah

Home to a variety of national parks, diverse environments, from deserts to mountains, Utah is like no other place in the country. It’s also home to some of the most expensive areas in the nation. Other parts of the state are just above the national average for cost of living.

What Options are Available for Assisted Living?

In the state of Utah there are 2 types of Assisted Living Facilities: Type I and Type II. Type I facilities provide assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) and social care to residents who are mobile and able to exit the facility without assistance. Type II facilities provide 24-hour coordinated supportive personal and health care services in a homelike environment to residents who are mobile and require limited assistance to evacuate the facility (1 person assisting).

All facilities must comply with International Building and National Fire Codes regarding the use of automatic sprinkler systems (Type I facilities are not required to have sprinklers) and smoke detectors.

What are the Alzheimer’s Requirements for Assisted Living Facilities in Utah?

A Type II Assisted Living Facility with approved secured units may admit residents with Alzheimer’s or other cognitive impairments as long as the resident is able to evacuate the facility with limited assistance (1 person). At least 1 staff member with documented Alzheimer’s and dementia training must be in the secured unit at all times.

Senior Assisted Living Details and Costs for Cities in Utah

The listings below are some of the larger cities in Utah. Each city details page provides details on assisted living facilities, independent living, senior group homes, and memory care. City pages may include details on amenities, services offered and other useful information.

What Training is Required for Assisted Living Facility Staff?

All facility staff must complete department-specific orientation, including job descriptions, ethics, confidentiality, and resident’s rights, as well as fire and disaster planning, policies and procedures, and reporting abuse.

Is an Assessment Required Before Move-In?

There is a state mandated assessment form that can be found on the agency’s website. Reassessment is required every 6 months, and the form must be updated accordingly.

What Care is Available in an Assisted Living Facility?

  • Personal care.
  • Food Service.
  • Housekeeping.
  • Laundry.
  • Maintenance.
  • Activity programs.
  • Administration.
  • Assistance with self-administration of medication.
  • Arranging necessary medical and dental care, and may provide intermittent nursing care.

Residents may contract a 3rd party licensed heath care agency or provider.

How is Medication Managed?about-assisted-living-(13)

Unlicensed staff may assist the resident with self-administration of medication, while licensed staff may administer medication. The resident has the option to self-administer, self-direct with staff assistance, allow family to administer and have total responsibility for all medication, or staff may administer with proper licensed professional delegation.

What are the Bathroom Requirements for an Assisted Living Facility?

Common bathrooms and bathing facilities are permitted.

What are the Move-In or Move-Out Requirements?

Both Type I and Type II Assisted Living Facilities can only admit residents whose needs can be met by the facility, and they may not admit or retain residents who:

  • Are a danger to themselves or others.
  • Have active tuberculosis or other communicable diseases.
  • Require inpatient hospital or nursing care.
  • Require assistance with multiple ADLs.
  • Fails to pay for services outlined in the service agreement.
  • Fails to comply with policies or rules outlined in the service agreement.

Type II facilities may accept or retain individuals who require significant assistance with ADLs, however they must not be “dependent.”

Is an Assisted Living Facility Covered by Medicaid in the State of Utah?

Yes. There are 5 different Medicaid home and community-based services waivers that can be utilized for Assisted Living Facilities.

Who can I contact for more information?

Department of Health, Facility Licensing, Certification and Resident Assessment
Joel Hoffman
(801) 273-2994