About Assisted Living in South Dakota

South Dakota ranked number 3 among the top retirement states in a 2013 study, mostly due to the low cost of living (nearly 11% lower than the national average) and low unemployment rate, but it’s also home to some breathtaking scenery, including Mount Rushmore.

What Options are Available for Assisted Living?

In the state of South Dakota, assisted living centers provide personal care and services beyond that of basic care.

All facilities must adhere to Life Safety Codes - new construction must be equipped with an automatic sprinkler, fire alarm, and smoke detection system installed in accordance with National Fire Protect Association codes. All existing construction must also be inspected and comply with national codes and standards.

What are the Alzheimer’s Requirements for Assisted Living Centers in South Dakota?

Assisted living centers and secured Alzheimer’s care units that are required to comply with state and local laws regarding confinement, safety, and staff training. Any new secured unit must have direct access to an outside area that is accessible to the residents and enclosed by a fence. At least one trained caregiver must be working in the secured unit at all times.

Senior Assisted Living Details and Costs for Cities in South Dakota

Found below are some of the larger cities in South Dakota. Each city page provides details on assisted living facilities, independent living, senior apartments and homes, and memory care. Details include costs, amenities, medical care, as well as other useful information.

What Training is Required for Assisted Living Center Staff?

All assisted living center staff must complete a formal orientation program and ongoing education, including fire prevention and response, emergency procedures and preparedness, accident prevention and safety procedures, infection control and prevention, resident rights, care of residents with unique needs, nutritional risks and hydration needs, working with cognitively impaired residents, and oxygen handling and administration.

Is an Assessment Required Before Move-In?

A nursing assessment is not required, however an assisted living center must ensure that they meet the residents needs by performing an evaluation at the time of admission, 30 days after admission, and annually thereafter. This evaluation addresses the need for nursing care, and medication administration, as well as reviews their cognitive status, mental health status, physical abilities, and dietary needs.

What Care is Available in an Assisted Living Center?

  • Room and board.
  • Laundry.
  • Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) and instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs)
  • Supportive services for activities and spiritual needs.
  • Meals.
  • Physician services.

Residents may contract licensed 3rd party services, but they must comply and complement the facilities care policies.

How is Medication Managed?

The facility must provide for residents that require administration of medication by employing or contracting a licensed nurse to review and document resident care. Unlicensed staff must complete an approved medication administration course, as well as annual refresher training.

What are the Bathroom Requirements for an Assisted Living Center?

Bathrooms must adjoin resident rooms, and each resident room must have a toilet and sink.

What are the Move-In or Move-Out Requirements?

Assisted living centers can only admit residents whose needs can be met by the facility, and they may not admit or retain residents who:

  • Have a communicable disease or chronic illness
  • Have a disability that requires services beyond supervision.
  • Require more than intermittent nursing care of rehabilitation services.
  • Are not capable of self-preservation and unable to evacuate in emergency situations.

Residents covered by Medicaid cannot be involuntarily transferred or discharged unless their needs cannot be met by the facility.

Is an Assisted Living Covered by Medicaid in the State of South Dakota?

Yes, Medicaid home and community-based services waiver coupled with state funds will cover assisted living services.

Who can I contact for more information?

Department of Health
Contact DOH
(605) 773-3361