About Assisted Living in New Hampshire

New Hampshire prides itself on safety - it has the nation’s lowest murder rate and the 3rd lowest in violent crime. There is no sales tax, and the state’s income tax only applies to dividends and interest - not salary or IRA distributions

What Options are Available for Assisted Living?

In the state of New Hampshire, an Assisted Living Residence – Supported Residential Health Care (ALR-SRHC) and Assisted Living residence – Residential Care (ALR-RC) provides long-term personal assistance to a wide range of residents, including the elderly, disabled, and those requiring special needs. Both ALR-SRHCs and ALR-RCs are publicly or privately owned homes providing non-medical and non-institutional assistance for adults, but ALR-SRHCs may or may not qualify for nursing home care and can no longer manage living on their own. ALR-RCs are designed for residents who usually do not qualify for nursing home care, but they either can no longer managing living on their own or they simply do not wish to live on their own.

Both Assisted Living Residences require a service agreement and disclosure summary prior to admission. While the summary includes the base rate, services, staff coverage, transportation, and other services offered, the service agreement spells out the details regarding services to be provided, cost, and policies and procedures.

New Hampshire’s Department of Health and Human Services enforces state fire codes and international building codes, including the use of hardwired smoke detectors in every bedroom and on every level, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers on every floor, and sprinkler systems throughout the facility.

What are the Alzheimer’s Requirements for Assisted-Living Residence/Supported Residential Health Care in New Hampshire?

Both ALR-SRHC and ALR-RC facilities are required to provide care to meet residents’ needs, but locked or secured buildings are prohibited for ALR-RC facilities.

Senior Assisted Living Details and Costs for Cities in New Hampshire

Found below are some of the larger cities in New Hampshire. Each listing page provides details on assisted living facilities, independent living, senior group homes, and memory care. Details include amenities, services offered and other useful information.

What Training is Required for an Assisted Living Residence’s Staff?

All staff are required to complete an orientation and training in the department in which they will be working.

Is an Assessment Required by the State of New Hampshire?

There is a standard resident assessment tool available on the state website or by calling (603) 271-9039.

What Care is Available in an Assisted Living Residence?

  • Supervision of activities of daily living (ADLs).
  • Nutrition.
  • Medication Administration.
  • Nursing Care.
  • Short-term rehabilitation services.

An ALR-RC facility can also provide medical, nursing, or rehabilitation services up to 21 visits per incident. More visits must be authorized by the Department.

If a resident in an ALR-SRHC facility requires ongoing medical or nursing care, their needs must be met either directly by the facility or by a licensed home health care agency.

How is Medication Managed?

In both ALR-SRHC and ALR-RCs, residents may self-administer medication with or without assistance and supervision. Licensed staff may administer medications in both types of facilities.

What are the Bathroom Requirements for an Assisted Living Residence?

Bathrooms may be shared with 1 sink, toilet, and bathtub or shower for every 6 residents.

What are the Move-In or Move-Out Requirements?

An ALR-SRHC facility can only admit residents whose needs can be met by the facility, and who can evacuate according to state fire codes. ALR-RC residents must be able to self-evacuate or he or she must be transferred to a facility that is licensed to assist with this service.

Is an Assisted-Living Facility Covered by Medicaid in the State of New Hampshire?

Yes. A Medicaid home and community-based services waiver covers assisted living services.

Who can I contact for more information?

Department of Health and Human Services, Bureau of Elderly and Adult Services (BEAS)
Contact BEAS
(603) 271-9203