About Assisted Living in North Dakota

While North Dakota is one of the least touristed states in the nation its low cost of living is a drawing factor and sales taxes are below the national average. Hunting and fishing are a state pastime and with large areas of unpopulated land to explore.

What Options are Available for Assisted Living?

In the state of North Dakota there are two types of assisted care: a basic care facility and an assisted care facility. Basic care facilities assist the individual to help them maintain the highest level of functioning, providing a resident care plan consistent with the resident’s assessment. An assisted living facility provides or coordinates individualized support services to accommodate the individual’s needs and abilities to maintain as much independence as possible.about-assisted-living-(29)

Both basic care and assisted living facilities must comply with local, state, and national fire safety standards regarding the use of extinguishers, smoke detectors, fire alarms, and sprinkler systems. They are also required to perform drills, post evacuation plans, and document all information, including dates, times, duration, and the names of all staff and residents participating.

What are the Alzheimer’s Requirements for Basic Care and Assisted Living in North Dakota?

Only basic care facilities can offer Alzheimer’s special care.

Senior Assisted Living Details and Costs for Cities in North Dakota

The listings below are some of the larger cities in North Dakota. Each city page provides details on senior and assisted living options, independent living, senior group homes, as well as Alzheimer's care facilities. Details include costs, amenities and services offered, medical care, as well as other useful information.

What Training is Required for Basic Care and Assisted Living Staff?

Both basic care and assisted living facilities require annual in-service training, including fire and accident prevention and safety, mental and physical health needs, infection prevention and control, and resident rights.

Is an Assessment Required Before Move-In?

Both basic care and assisted living facilities require an assessment to help determine resident care, and each facility develops and utilizes their own forms.

What Care is Available in a Basic Care and Assisted Living Facility?

In basic care facility:

  • 24-hour supervision.
  • Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) and instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs).
  • Leisure, recreational, and therapeutic activities.
  • Supervision of nutritional needs.
  • Medication administration.

In assisted living facilities residents are allowed to choose and pay only for the services they need or desire, but they may provide assistance with physical or cognitive impairments and a moderate level of assistance with 1 or more ADLs or IADLs.

Basic care facilities may contract licensed home health agencies to provide nursing care and services for residents.

How is Medication Managed?

In both basic care and assisted living facilities unlicensed staff are allowed to administer medications as long as they have been trained and are monitored by a registered nurse. However, some medications that fall under the category of “controlled prescription drugs’ cannot be administered by unlicensed staff.

What are the Bathroom Requirements for a Basic Care and Assisted Living Facility?

In basic care facilities there must be at least 1 toilet for every 4 residents and 1 bathtub or shower for every 15. Assisted living facilities have private bathrooms.

What are the Move-In or Move-Out Requirements?

Basic care facilities can only admit residents whose needs can be met by the facility, and they may not admit or retain residents who:

  • Are not capable of self-preservation.
  • Require continuous 24-hour nursing or medical assistance.

Is Basic Care or Assisted Living Covered by Medicaid in the State of North Dakota?

Yes—if an individual is eligible for Medicaid it will pay for services in a basic care facility, however personal funds or state general funds will have to pay for room and board.

Who can I contact for more information?

Department of Health, Division of Health Facilities and Life Safety and Construction for Basic Care Facilities
Bruce Pritschet, Director
(701) 328-1890