About Assisted Living in Michigan

Michigan has more freshwater coastline than any other state in the nation, with more than 36,000 miles of streams and 11,000 inland lakes. On top of lower than average assisted-living and nursing home costs, the cost of living is also lower than the national average. Income tax is a low flat-rate and sales tax is also slightly lower than the rest of the country.

What Options are Available for Assisted Living?

In the state of Michigan a Home for the Aged (HFA) and Adult Foster Care (AFC) provide personal care, supervision, and protection. HFAs provide care, room, and board to individuals 60 and older, while AFC homes provide room and board to a variety of aged, mentally ill, developmentally disabled, or physically disabled people.

The design and construction of HFA facilities must comply with state fires safety rules. AFCs licensed for 7 or more residents are regulated by the Bureau of Fire Services, stating new homes must have sprinklers and alarm systems with a hard-wired, interconnected smoke detection system. New construction allowing for 6 or fewer residents require hard-wired, interconnected smoke detection system.

What are the Alzheimer’s Requirements for HFAs and AFCs in Michigan?

If either HFAs or AFCs market themselves as providing specialized Alzheimer’s care, a written description must be made available to all those who are interested in services, consisting of the overall philosophy and mission relating to Alzheimer’s disease, the process of resident assessment and implementation of care, staff training and continuing education, physical design elements of the facility and how it’s appropriate for resident care, frequency and type of activities, and a break-down of all fees and services available to individuals with Alzheimer’s and other cognitively-impaired conditions.

Senior Assisted Living Details and Costs for Cities in Michigan

Found below are some of the larger cities in Michigan. Each city page provides details on assisted living facilities, independent living, senior group homes, and memory care facilities. Details include amenities, services offered and other useful information.

What Training is Required for HFA and AFC Staff?

HFAs are required to train staff to meet resident needs, but they should also be trained in reporting requirements and documentation, first aid, administration of medication, personal care, supervision, resident rights and responsibilities, safety and fire prevention, containment of infectious diseases, and standard precautions.

Direct care staff in an AFC must also be competent in nutrition, CPR, and protection, as well as any additional training required for facilities that are certified to provide specialized programs for individuals with developmental disabilities or mental illness.

Is an Assessment Required Before Move-In?

Both HFAs and AFCs require a complete assessment at the time of admission to establish an appropriate service plan for the individual. Service plans must be updated annually or if there is a significant change in the resident’s condition and required care.

What Care is Available in an HFA and AFC?

HFAs (Home for the Aged) provide:

  • Room and board.
  • Supervision and protection.
  • Assistance and supervised personal care.

AFC (Adult Foster Care) homes provide:

  • Supervision, protection and personal care.
  • Medication administration.
  • Social activities.
  • Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs).

3rd party assistance may provide care for residents in both HFAs and AFC homes, but they must work in conjunction with the resident’s physician and the facility, providing adequate care for the individual.

How is Medication Managed?

Both HFAs and AFCs must assist the resident, helping them follow medication instructions and recommendations by their licensed physician or other health care professional.

What are the Bathroom Requirements for a HFA and AFC?

AFCs should have 1 toilet, sink, and bathtub or shower for every 8 residents, and at least 1 toilet, sink and bathtub or shower must be available on each floor that has resident bedrooms. HFAs should have 1 toilet and sink for every 8 resident beds per floor, and 1 tub or shower for every 15 residents.

What are the Move-In or Move-Out Requirements?

Both HFAs and AFCs are not allowed to admit nor retain individuals whose needs cannot be adequately met with home’s program statement or:

  • If an individual requires continuous nursing.
  • An individual whose behavior poses a risk of serious harm to himself/herself or others.
  • Nonpayment.

Is a HFA and AFC Covered by Medicaid in the State of Michigan?

Yes. The Medicaid state plan covers personal care services in licensed facilities.

Who can I contact for more information?

Bureau of Community and Health Systems
Contact the Bureau of Community and Health Systems
(517) 335-1980