About Assisted Living in Idaho

While Idaho is a great place to live for the outdoor enthusiast its cold winters and 43.5 inches of snow per year might make it less than ideal for some. However, for most of the state, the cost of living is lower than the national average. You will find pockets of vacation and retirement hot-spots that are above average, but there are plenty of options in an affordable range.

What Options are Available for Assisted Living?

In the state of Idaho a Residential Care or Assisted Living Facility provides supervision, personal assistance, meals, and lodging to 3 or more adults.

All residential care or assisted living facilities are required to have interconnected smoke detectors and fire alarm systems. A facility with 3 to 16 beds is required to have a residential sprinkler system. A facility with more than 16 beds must have a commercial fire sprinkler system.

What are the Alzheimer’s Requirements for Residential Care and Assisted Living Facilities in Idaho?

For a facility to accept Alzheimer’s residents the interior and exterior yard must be secure and safe. Staff must be specifically trained in the following: overview of dementia, symptoms and behaviors of people with memory impairment, communication with people with memory impairment, resident’s adjustment to the new living environment, behavior management, and stress reduction for facility personnel and residents. If a new resident is admitted with Alzheimer’s or dementia or if a current resident is newly-diagnosed, the staff must be trained within 30 calendar days to meet this need. In the meantime, the resident’s needs must still be met by the facility.

Senior Assisted Living Details and Costs for Cities in Idaho

The listings below are some of the larger cities in Idaho. Each city details page provides details on assisted living housing, independent living, senior apartments and homes, and memory care. Details include costs, amenities, services provided, as well as other useful information.

What Training is Required for Residential Care and Assisted Living Facility Staff?

Staff must have at least 16 hours of job-related orientation training before they are allowed to provide unsupervised assistance to residents, and training must be completed within one month of employment. If the proper training has yet to be received, assistance may still be provided to residents under the supervision of a properly trained staff member.

Additional training is required to assist residents suffering from a traumatic brain injury.

Is an Assessment Required Before Move-In?

All residents must be assessed, and the facility must develop a short-term care plan to guide services until the assessment can be completed.

What Care is Available in a Residential Care and Assisted Living Facility?

  • Supervision.
  • Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs).
  • Delivery of services to meet resident needs.

Residents can hire 3rd party services.

How is Medication Managed?

All nursing functions are delegated by a licensed professional nurse. Unlicensed staff that successfully completed an assistance with medications course and have been delegated to provide assistance with medication by the licensed professional nurse can assist residents with self-administration of medication.

What are the Bathroom Requirements for a Residential Care and Assisted Living Facility?

At least 1 toilet must be provided for every 6 residents.

What are the Move-In or Move-Out Requirements?

Residential Care of Assisted Living Facilities can only admit residents whose needs can be met by the facility, and they may not admit or retain residents who:

  • Require skilled nursing care.
  • Has a gastrostomy tube, arterial-venous shunt, or supra-pubic catheter inserted within the previous 21 days.
  • Requires continuous total parenteral nutrition or intravenous therapy.
  • Requires physical restraints, including bedrails.
  • Are comatose, except those whose death is imminent (within 14 to 30 days) and have been assessed by a physician.
  • Require a mechanically supported breathing system, with the exception of residents who use continuous positive airway pressure.
  • Require a tracheotomy who are unable to care for it independently.
  • Are fed by syringe.
  • Have open, draining wounds that cannot be contained.
  • Have stage III or IV pressure ulcers.
  • Have any type of pressure ulcer or open wound that is not improving bi-weekly.
  • Have methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus in an infectious stage.
  • Have physical, emotional, or social needs that are not compatible with other residents.
  • Are violent or a danger to themselves or others.

If a resident is requiring nursing aide the facility must ensure that a licensed nurse is available. Any resident who has trouble getting around must remain on the first story of the facility unless that facility has fire sprinklers. If sprinklers are not installed and the resident is unable to self-evacuate, he or she must not be admitted.

Is Assisted Living Covered by Medicaid in the State of Idaho?

Yes. Medicaid’s state plan services and home and community-based services waiver will reimburse residents for personal care.

Who can I contact for more information?

Department of Health and Welfare
Contact Residential Care or Assisted Living Program
(208) 364-1962