About Assisted Living in Arizona
Jump to Section:
- What Options are Available for Assisted Living?
- What are the Alzheimer’s Requirements for Assisted Living Facilities in Arizona?
- What Training is Required for Assisted Living Facility Staff?
- Is an Assessment Required Before Move-In?
- What Care is Available in an Assisted Living Facility?
- How is Medication Managed?
- What are the Bathroom Requirements for an Assisted Living Facility?
- What are the Move-In or Move-Out Requirements?
- Is an Assisted Living Facility Covered by Medicaid in the State of Arizona?
- Who can I contact for more information?
Last modified: December 7, 2017
The weather plays a large part in senior’s desire to retire to Arizona - with an average of 286 days of sunshine per year. But while the winters are very mild, the summers can be extremely hot. Social security income is not taxed, and the state’s cost of living is lower than the national average with income and property taxes being relatively low.
What Options are Available for Assisted Living?
In the state of Arizona an Assisted Living Facility provides supervisory and personal care services, or directed care services to residence living on-site.
Under state rules and National Fire Protection Association standards, an Assisted Living Facility is required to have extinguishers and smoke detectors, as well as a fire alarm and sprinkler system. Fire inspections must be conducted by a local fire department or state fire marshal once every 3 years.
Other safety requirements that must be made by the Assisted Living Facility include fingerprinting and valid fingerprint clearance cards to be kept on record not only for all staff, but also for contractors and registry workers that are contracted by the facility.
What are the Alzheimer’s Requirements for Assisted Living Facilities in Arizona?
Directed care rules must be followed for housing Alzheimer’s residents.
Senior Assisted Living Details and Costs for Cities in Arizona
Listed below are some of the larger cities in Arizona. Each city details page provides details on senior assisted living options, independent living, senior group homes, and memory care facilities. Details may include costs, amenities, services provided, as well as other useful information.
- Apache Junction
- Bullhead City
- Camp Verde
- Casa Grande
- Cave Creek
- Chino Valley
- El Mirage
- Fountain Hills
- Green Valley
- Lake Havasu City
- Litchfield Park
- Oro Valley
- Paradise Valley
- Prescott Valley
- Queen Creek
- San Tan Valley
- Sierra Vista
- Sun City
- Sun City West
- Sun Lakes
What Training is Required for Assisted Living Facility Staff?
All staff must be trained in adult first aid and CPR, but care-givers must be trained at the level of licensed care that the facility provides and have at least 3 months health-related experience.
Staff working directly with Alzheimer’s residents require an educational overview of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
Is an Assessment Required Before Move-In?
Within 14 days of acceptance and move-in an assessment must be completed to create a service plan for the resident. The plan must be updated regularly as well as with any change in condition.
What Care is Available in an Assisted Living Facility?
- Supervisory Care Services includes the awareness of resident needs, the ability to intervene in a crisis, and assistance with medication administration.
- Personal Care Services includes activities of daily living, intermittent nursing services, and administration of medication and treatment.
- Directed Care Services includes programs and services for those unable to detect danger or make basic care decisions.
Assisted Living Facility residents may receive nursing or health-related services from a licensed home-health agency, hospice agency, or private duty nurse. Residents may not be bed-bound and require continuous nursing services unless under the care of a licensed hospice or private continued nursing service.
How is Medication Managed?
Medication assistance can be provided by certified assisted living managers and trained care-givers. A licensed nurse is permitted to administer medication.
What are the Bathroom Requirements for an Assisted Living Facility?
Bathrooms must have at least 1 full bathroom for every 8 residents.
What are the Move-In or Move-Out Requirements?
Assisted Living Facility can only admit residents whose needs can be met by the facility, and they may not admit or retain residents who:
- Require chemical or physical restraints.
- Require behavioral services.
- Require services the facility isn’t licensed to provide.
Is an Assisted Living Facility Covered by Medicaid in the State of Arizona?
Yes. The Medicaid home and community-based services waiver covers service in Assisted Living Facilities.